26 August, 2008

CHILD IN TIME

Nostalgia is a hazy but powerful & long-lasting feeling ;
So is our childhood, a surreal and magical time.
Infact this feeling is as realistic as today's stern realities.

Sometimes,when I close my eyes during those routine coffee breaks on a boring Tuesday afternoon ,my mind runs a 70mm movie fast forwarded to last about a minute;

And all I am trying is to freeze this movie clip and explain to you the memories trapped with in them.

I guess we all go through those days where our parents were our protectors and our home our training grounds.
Heck we were potty trained here ,taught how to hold a spoon, taught discipline ,and also most importantly to love everything and everyone around us .
At that age we really do as we were told with all our hearts.

Every time I look at kids,I wonder

"How these funny looking little rascals, poop machines with mucous dripping from their noses manage to look like angels to their parents ?"

Trust me, "Even God would not know why"

Ever wondered about the first day of school?

Normally a gloomy day ,your mom dresses up and you probably thought you were going to a picnic or something.

But a few seconds later the bitter proposition is put forward by "yours truly Dad", the enemy supremo of the hour.

You start your initial bouts of hellish screams and tantrums, and wait for Mom’s reinforcements to come crush dad's atrocities.

But a few hours later you realize you are headed to pre-nursery.
As far as I was concerned I never went to pre-nursery for I was a hell raiser.

"A good example for a bad example" kind of a kid.

This attitude seemed to work-out the best after I had tried and tested the whiner, the squealer and the crybaby attitudes.

The school was called "The Angel’s Convent", but for me it looked like some Nazi concentration camps where little children were tortured with alphabets.

But, I on the other hand had a way out of even the most complex and well engineered parental mind games.

After the teacher realized my "attitude problem" she made me sit out on in the school park*.

Here I sat waiting for the sun to touch mid sky cuz that's when my grandpa rescued me from the clutches of the war I was fighting every damn single day.

From what I had seen, the war had already claimed its victims in the form of young minds.


(I must confess --> The Park*; was on a slab of stone on a storm drainage gutter, hey don't judge me :), I am not a liar, I just wanted my memories to sound & look classy).

I was raised in a small community, middle-class neighborhood which the average Indian is well acquainted with.

It was told to me in the later years that I used to terrorize the people walking below on the streets with a barrage of garbage and foot ware “missiles” on the unexpected people walking on the streets.

And,I did it from the comforts and safety of my vantage point(Balcony) ,And yes my dad had his share of fights too because of the obvious.

There is nothing a kid needs to worry at that age for there were no rules;
All we had then were our flimsy memories and our imaginary worlds.

I think hard sometimes to figure out the names of my friends, but all I can remember is the colors of their shirts.

As all kids, education was not the only reason I was put into this well oiled "educational system".

It was to win the rat race that was about to hit our unexpected minds.
We were forced to understand to stay synchronized with the societies clockworks and drill sirens.

Kids at that age were taught to win even before the rules of the games were explained and pre-nursery was our trailer before the big movie.


If I am asked to briefly describe my initial stages of my babyhood ,I would say it would be like the movie "Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas".

For those who haven't seen the movie,It's about these two photographers who are high on every possible narcotic known to man;And how they see the world via their Hallucinations and Brilliance.

Having said that ......
As a kid,I was only high on my careless memories and adventures.

1 comment:

Srimaiden said...

Hey Good job Bro nice to see u write something apart from dark forces,violence and death..
Expect more from u keep posting..